Monday, June 20, 2011

Josh's Letter 6-12-11

Querida Familia,
   It's a sad world we live in. Elder Rowan and I have been planning a 2 Family Home Evening Session. 1 with Delfina and Eduardo and the the Benitez. 2nd with Hugo y Telma, Eva, and Eric and Luz(plus all the hijos). We planned that I would go down with Delfina and them and E' Rowan with the others. Yesterday I called Telma to clarify if we could still do the family night. She told me she was in the hospital because her stomach hurt. While I was on the phone with her I remembered she was pregnant. I agreed with her that she would talk to the Doctor then call us. The call never came so I tried calling her before I went to bed but she didn't answer. I was already thinking the worst in my head. It was weird I just felt in my heart that something wasn't right. Then at about 1:30 in the morning I heard a loud knocking on the door. As I stumbled out of bed I looked at the phone and saw that we had some missed calls, I know something was up. I answered the door and Gustavo(a friend of Hugo and Telma) was there. He sadly told me how Telma had the baby boy 5 months early and he died right after birth. We cruised over to the hospital with Elder Ellyson and gave her a blessing of comfort. It was so sad to see her there like that. I can't even imagine losing a child like that or in anyway. We went to the Mortuary and are planning the funeral. They are going to do a Cremation with the baby so that when they die they can be buried with him. I had to do a lot of translating with a lot of new vocab I don't know. I'm glad I could just help in some way. I really hope Hugo and Telma can grow from this. Hugo is a RM but has kind of gone in-active.
   The Stake Conference went pretty well. Jose Gonzalez drove us there. The Benitez girls and Delfina and Eduardo and their 3 hijas all went in the same van. I don't think Eduardo and Delfina liked it too much, unfortunately. Reina talked to them about being married and baptized on the ride home because they were talking about the temple, that is right next to the Stake Center. Delfina told Reina she doesn't want to be married or baptized. We need to work on her testimony of the Book of Mormon. It was good to see some of the people I worked with in Baton Rouge. I saw the Valenzuela family. When I left that area they still weren't married and Luccio hadn't been baptized. A couple of months ago they got married and he got baptized. I also saw Tanya(the Brazilian), and the Powells. Maria wasn't there.
  Things are going well with E' Rowan. He is a really obedient missionary who acts no hypocrisy. I feel I will learn a lot from him. We only speak spanish to each other so I hope I learn a lot. We have some good potential Investigators right now that need a lot of work. Then there is Eric, Luz, John(14), Jesus(11), Arlett(2), and Mayhte(6m). They are progressing well and are all committed to read everyday. The only hang up is still that Eric has to work every sunday for atleast the next 2 months. The rest of the family will probably come to Church this Sunday. I have never really taught so many people at once, it is a good challenge.
  Things are going well. I miss Elder Terry but who knows maybe I will serve with him again. I have been reading recently in the early parts of Alma. Alma chapters 5 and 7 are 2 of my favorites! 5 helps me see where I need to improve and 7 shows me how to improve because my Savior already did everything for me. It's amazing how our patterns of life can be changed so much if we just 1. Frequently pray 2. Go to church with an open heart and 3. Read in the scripures often, specifically in the Book of Mormon. The hard part is getting that desire in people to do those 3 simpe/profound things.
  
Con Amor,
 
Elder Decker
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment