Monday, June 20, 2011

Letter 6-20-11

Querida Familia,
  Happy Fathers Day Dad! Yesterday in church in Gospel Principles we talked about Fathers and read about differen't awesome Father examples in the book of momon. From Lehi down to Mormon. I also asked a list of good attributes for a good father. The hispanics said: Humilde, trabajador, honesto, dispuesto, guia, tiene barba, ejemplo, divertido, paciente, amoroso, y tiene caridad. Delfina really hit home on the last part and having charity. I really like the list because the Ross man is good at all of those things, except for having a beard. 14 hispanics showed to church which is a fairly good number. Hugo y Telma came, and they are doing better. They should be having some kind of dedication this week. Delfina and Eduardo and the hijas came as well. They are doing awesome, they read, come to church, and pray but still don't want to get married. Maybe they just need a little more time with those 3 things. Then there is Rolando. Rolando is a Cuban guy that has been taught by past missionaries but for chastity, and word of wisdom problems couldn't be married. He finally has moved away from his chastiy problems but we just got him to quit smoking. He lives right next to the Bayou in a little town called Gibson. There is nothing out where he lives save it be deer and gators. I really would like to live out there. He is working for the 18th of July. He is really solid and speaks english so he would be really good for our branch.
   Eric and Luz are doing alright. Luz is the only one that is really progressing right now. She wanted to go to Church yesterday but her 2 sons wouldn't go with her or help with the 2 younger daughters. Eric was working. So our plan is to send the Benitez daughters over that have the same age as Luz's boys and persuade them to come. I think it will work. It would have worked on me when I was younger. There are some other people up and coming.
   It's been so long since I've had a baptism that I sometimes feel like an unsuccessful missionary. I just want to do all I can to help these people here take that important step. I've enjoyed working with the people here more so than any other area. It's just so hard to get people to overcome working on sunday or quit smoking. So many things that do easily beset or impide someone from being baptized.
   The last Zone Conference with President Woods was fun. They both seem a little anxious to go home. We had a testimony meeting at the end and President Woods just talked about marriage and stuff. When I talke about mine, I said how when I came to the mission I just thought Pres. expected me to be like Grandpa, Roger, Rick, Ross, Rob, or any of the other Deckers he knows. I explained how I didn't really like that because I will never be as awesome as those guys, but that I should try to be.
  Tonight we will be doing a treasure hunt in the church for all the hispanics. I think a lot will come. Family Nights with hispanic people are the best! Last monday I had a family night with Delfina and Eduardo, the Benitez, and Sergio. Sergio was my companion because E' Rowan had another FHE with Eric and Luz, and the Senior Couple. We played pictionary with bilbe/bom words, watched the Como hallar fe en cristo, and ate some food. It was a good spiritual time. Today we are going to do like a treasure hunt in and around the church. I will explain next week after it is all said and done.
   Our buddy Caleb should be leaving the jail today. Our other buddy Jesus will be entering this next friday. He got in a wreck while drinking and has to go to jail for 5 weekends in a row. I had never heard of such a thing, sounds kind of convenient. We went to his court case, not knowing that E' Rowan and I had to be his official translator. When they called for the translator, I wussed out and had E' Rowan do it. He was super nervous at first but he did a good job. The hard thing about translating in court is that what they talk about is completely new vocab that I don't understand in english. E' Rowan did a good job. He is almost home and hadn't translated in court so it was good for him. I will have my oportunity later on.
  Not too much more is going on. Time just seems to be floating by. I'm about where my trainer was when I served with him and he went home really fast. I'm starting to realize 9 months isn't that much time at all. Some times I just want to go home, especially when I hear my best buddy is home. However, it would also take something jacking up my intestines to get me home. Being a Missionary is so weird sometimes. I am focused in helping people receive something that means so much to me, when about 3 yrs ago I didn't really even think or care about. I don;t even know what I am saying anymore. I just want to work hard and help these people is my main point I guess. 
  Thank you mom for the package! Dad I hope you had a great Fathers Day! I hope Justina didn't give you a hard time on your big day. pegale en las nalgas para mi. I love you all and I hope all is going well back home.
 
Con Amor,
 
Elder Decker

No comments:

Post a Comment