Wednesday, June 1, 2011

May 31, 2011 Letter


Querida Familia,
  I'm having a hard time remembering a lot that happened throughout the week. So I will go off some of the things y'all wrote and go from there. Send the Farnesworth family my love! Sounds like the funeral went well, so thats good. Dad I think I remember the guy from the relay team. You left out another STG missionary who is there. Dustin Neilson is also in Billings. Mom knows who that is. Ellsworth is going to Chile? I have only met one Chilean on my mission. I have pretty much met atleast one person from the central and southern american countries except for Paraguay and Uruguay. Garifuna?!? Do I know about the Garifunas, you ask. Elder Terry and I followed one in our car from Morgan City to Amelia just the other night. They were a bunch of africans who took over a slave trade boat and accidently crashed into Honduras and populated there. So there are tons of them that speak their native tongue, spanish, and a lot speak english too. There are a ton in New Orleans. The other night we saw(what looked like a normal black guy driving around) and saw that he had spanish written on his car. Upon further examine we found a Garifuna flag hagging on his front dash. 
   Mom congrats on finishing up the school year! I'm still at the same address. Transfers are next week though. I hope I stay. 
   Elder Terry and I have stayed really positive! This last week was one of my best weeks in finding people. We found a new family with like 4 kids. Also Eric and Luz are doing really well. Luz had some doubts about why she would need to be baptized again so we talked about authority and she understood. Delfina and Eduardo still have something going on between them and I don't know what it is. They seem to be working it out though. It's only a matter of time until they decide to get married and baptized. Marcero(our black looking Dominican) has date for the 18th of June. We are going to work with him to help understand how important church is. 
   We had a really small turn-out at church. I swear it's like of our Investigators and members call each other every week to say go or no? One week everyone shows up, another hardly anyone. Good news though, Sister Dupre is going to move in our branch and she is from Brazil and speaks spanish perfectly. She will be able to help and support all of the hispanic women we teach. 
  The translator is helping me out a lot. I bust it out quite often. The flood talk is still going but nothing too much is happening. There are 22 ft. sea walls that protect Morgan City. I think eventually there will be some damage in Amelia but nothing too bad. 
  Things are going well. I know I sounded negative but I am really positive. I am positive because we have a lot of Investigators right now, and  alot of potential. That makes missionary work the best. Elder Terry and I have been really good at inviting the comforter with us. We are looking to getting some people committed for baptism this week, and not just to commit but because we have some legit people who are ready for the gospel. I love you all and I am grateful for all the love and support I receive. I will write you next tuesday. I hope Elder Terry and I stay together one more because he has been my best companion. 
Con Amor,
Elder Decker

No comments:

Post a Comment